Categories: Gaming

Ecuador gambling ban comes into force


Closed for the last time Casino Montecarlo

 

The slot machines have fallen silent at Quito’s largest and last-standing casino after Ecuador’s new anti-gambling law came into effect at midnight, Friday 16th March, with warnings the ban could drive gambling underground.

Voters approved the closure in a referendum last year, and the government of President Rafael Correa in September gave establishments six months to close down their operations.

At the Montecarlo, Quito’s main gambling destination attached to a luxury hotel north of the capital, some 120 workers waited until midnight Friday night to see their workplace shuttered, with a music concert marking the occasion for employees and patrons.

“Now comes the question — what do we do now?” worried Darwin Jativa as the casino closed its doors for the last time.

Pedro Sanchez, a Spanish national who was a manager at the Montecarlo, warned prohibition would likely send the practice underground to illegal gambling halls.

“Mafias will be competing for the trade with a gun,” he told Reporters.

Nationwide the new law was to cost 3,000 people their jobs, according to the country’s association of casinos and bingo halls, which said the prohibition would likely impact 22,000 indirect jobs.

Employees would be compensated following their dismissal, and would be eligible for job retraining, officials said before the ban came into force. It was approved last year as part of a raft of measures pushed by Correa in a public vote, insisting the gambling was a moral vice.

Card dealers and other casino employees were not the only ones condemning the closures.

“We are in mourning too. This place will be greatly missed,” said Rosa Sosa, a 70-year-old writer, who used to frequent the Montecarlo with her husband Anibal Iturralde.

“We are adults who are just seeking a little joy, not idiots coming to squander our money,” Iturralde added.

Others admitted that the tough new anti-gambling measures will help them overcome their own addictions.

“Willpower was not enough,” said one former casino customer who asked not to be named.

“I thank God, and the president, for freeing us from this yoke that made me lose my family and my savings.”

Staff

Recent Posts

Prediction Market Kalshi Processes $40 Billion in World Cup Trades Amid State Tax Disputes

During the 2026 FIFA World Cup, the prediction market platform Kalshi recorded an estimated $40…

2 hours ago

St8 announces new partnership with betlive

Casino games aggregator and full-service technology provider St8 has announced a new partnership with betlive, bolstering the…

2 hours ago

South Korea Orders Nationwide Block on Polymarket Over Illegal Gambling Violations

South Korean regulatory authorities have ordered a domestic block on Polymarket, classifying the cryptocurrency-based prediction…

2 hours ago

Australian Lower House Passes Gambling Advertising Reforms Following Bipartisan Agreement

On August 18, 2026, the Australian House of Representatives passed comprehensive legislation aimed at reforming…

2 hours ago

Greentube ignites the reels

Greentube, the NOVOMATIC Digital Gaming and Entertainment division, has launched fiery new release Flaming Devil™, set in…

24 hours ago

Yggdrasil Expands Dutch Reach

Yggdrasil, the iGaming supplier has strengthened its footprint in the Netherlands through a new partnership…

1 day ago