Published On: Wed, Apr 25th, 2012

Wynn back in with PokerStars/FTP2?

Share This
Tags

THE Full Tilt Poker story continues to gain steam as many gaming insiders now mention Steve Wynn as a possible partner with the new FTP2 re-launch. Since pushing Bernard Tapie right out of the picture, the burning question on thousands of poker players’ minds is when will we be getting our cash back? However another factor into the whole FTP equation is who will be the US partner to any new look and new owned FTP2?

The latest development comes from online Poker Legend Shaun Deeb; he said the following on the popular 2+2 Poker Forum:

“Players will be paid within 90 days”
“FTP will be open in the US market”
“Isai Scheinberg (founder of PokerStars) will be stepping down from the company””If these statements are true I feel that Isai deserves all our thanks+ business in the future with his company he is bailing out the igaming industry’s tarnished reputation.”

In light of the continued snowballed speculation, which stemmed from the 2+2 forum, PokerStars said: As you know, PokerStars is in settlement discussions with the U.S. Department of Justice. As such settlement discussions are always confidential; we are unable to comment on rumors. As soon as we have information to share publicly we will do so.”

Is Steve Wynn back in play with PokerStars?

Now, Steve Wynn’s name has also been mentioned amidst these reports. Let’s not forget that Zynga and Wynn have been in discussions lately about marrying up social gaming and real-life betting; these discussions are still in limbo in the gaming world. However, gaming insiders have claimed that Zynga is not quite ready to enter the gambling market, mainly because it is still a young company and because of the implications in entering a non-existent US online gambling business. Team this with its stock falling by 2% in trading, to $12.22 per share when reports of both teaming up were released. Shares are now $9.22. It’s also widely believed that Zynga is not yet profitable…so does this still entice Mr Wynn?

We reported previously that, “Zynga CEO Mark Pincus has said that the firm’s possibilities are “mind-blowing.”

But could Wynn blow Zynga right out of the water?

Before the whole Black Friday fiasco came to light, Wynn was actually in advanced talks with PokerStars.

According to a press release dating back to March 25 2011: “Wynn Resorts, Limited announced that it has entered into a strategic relationship with PokerStars.

The companies will first work to secure the passage of federal legislation that will finally and conclusively define illegal internet gambling, provide law enforcement with the tools necessary to stop illegal internet gambling, protect consumers by establishing a robust regulatory environment for the safe operation of online poker by experienced operators, and establish a regime for the assessment and collection of taxes. “

All gambling industry observers know, any online poker company based outside the US will have to partner up with a land based US Casino Operator to have any chance to acquire a license, whether this be at Federal or State level.

“After much study, many are convinced that the lack of regulation of internet gaming within the US will change. We must recognize that this activity is occurring and that law enforcement does not have the tools to stop it. As a company that has safely conducted gaming in the US for more than 40 years, We believe that the same can be done for poker on the internet,” commented Stephen A. Wynn, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Wynn. “Additionally, it is time that the thousands of jobs created by this business and the potentially significant tax dollars come home to the US,” Mr. Wynn continued.

Farewell to GBT, did they really know enough about the online poker industry?

 

According to an article dating back to 2011 from Forbes,

“Nearly two years ago billionaire Las Vegas casino mogul Steve Wynn met Isai Scheinberg, the founder of PokerStars, the world’s biggest online gaming firm, for the first time. Over a three-hour lunch, Scheinberg tried to convince Wynn that the two of them should work together to regulate online poker in the U.S. with an eye toward setting up a joint venture.”

He also said: “Wynn says Reid (Nevada Senator) told him: “Steve there are millions of people playing poker and it’s as American as apple pie. I want my office to look into this and see if we can regulate it.”

Could the events over the last 24hrs mean that Steve Wynn is back in with PokerStars? Both sides need each other and both combined would make a huge online poker industry in the US.

Whatever really happened to Groupe Bernard Tapie and their deal, it is clear, if you are not in the Online business you really are up against some shrewd players, and that showed with the announcements yesterday.

At present the connections with online and US land based operators are:

In October of 2011, Bwin.party announced plans to do business with casino giant MGM Resorts International and Boyd Gaming. We also reported that Donald Trump is reportedly eyeing up the online gambling market in America with speculation that he is on the verge of playing the trump card in the US and is in talks with London gaming company 888. As of today, the Las Vegas Sands Corporation has not teamed up with any online poker service provider to enter the Nevada market, as Sheldon Adelson believes that there are not enough safeguards to protect younger gamblers.

Will Mr Wynn and Full Tilt Poker 2 announce a deal together? Only time will tell, but the iGaming Post is tipping this one to happen. Both sides know the business would be huge and maybe just too big to turn down.

The iGaming Post will keep you updated on all events as they happen.

About the Author

-

Leave a comment

You must be Logged in to post comment.